Data Analyst/ScientistPosition overview
JOB TITLE: Data Analyst/Scientist
TPC supports its retail clients through ‘fact based’ analysis and synthesis to provide context relevant solutions to their business challenges or unrealised opportunities. To do this quantitative support is vital. Examples of this include:
- Creating testable hypotheses that have a ‘line of sight’ to the overall business question. Collecting and validating data slices to test these hypotheses.
- Using your own initiative to challenge/interpret outcomes along with possible alternative explanations and relevant re-tests or new-tests.
- While working within an operational brief, take initiative to data mine/test to bring operationally relevant insights to a project team.
- Build Smart Excel applications using VBA and SQL to support end users address operational challenges.
- Develop operational statistics models that can be handed to client in-house teams. Ideally, use statistical applications such as R or Python to assist in model builds.
- Have the inter-personal skills and awareness to present and defend approaches and outcomes, with the humility that not everyone is right all the time.
SKILLS and EXPERIENCE
- Good foundation in Statistics and Quantitative methods
- Passion for analytic & problem solving
- Eye for both the day-to-day detail as well as solving holistic business questions
- Ability to manage and analyse both Excel sized and larger data sets
- Strong Excel with VBA skills
- Good SQL for data extraction & mining
- Practical problem solving mentality founded on theory
- Excellent logic skills
- Excellent verbal and written English
- Open mindedness to new problems and ideas
- Resourceful in finding solutions to practical problems that don’t fit easily into theoretical constructs.
Use of a stats package such as R, SAS institute, Mathematica or SPSS with large databases &/or use of Python or C++/C#
- Experimental & survey design
- Multi-variate regression analysis
- Non-parametric testing
Familiarity with Amazon Web Services
SQL/Database setup and management
Use of Amazon Hadoop
Use of basic Machine Learning
Experience with retail data, processes and quantitative modelling challenges
Essential for all candidates:
- You will need high levels of personal motivation, presence and energy and a strong ability to communicate at all levels.
- Outstanding written and oral communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate complex problems or solutions in a way in which they are quickly understood
- Ideally a strong academic background with a minimum 2:1 or equivalent from a top university.
- A grounded, but highly personable individual.
- Personality, presence and gravitas.
- Driven by success.
- An ability to listen effectively.
- Energetic, enthusiastic and not afraid of hard work.
- The ability to work collaboratively as well as independently.
- An individual with integrity and maturity with a flexible and adaptable style.
- A genuine interest in retail and/or consultancy would help!